Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Slice of Life - Day 138

Today is my sisters birthday. I got to spend a little bit of time with her at the dog park and a few more minutes later at Jake's baseball game. She was pissed that I got her a store bought card rather than a home made one... but I was short on time today and decided that I would go in to the card store and see what there was but if I didn't find one that "felt" right I would make the time to make one for her. However I found one that said everything I wanted to say...

This is what it said...


She’s the one
You’ve known forever
The one you go to
For honest advice
And genuine support.
The one who accepts
Your quirky little habits
And understands you
In a way few others can.

She’s the one
You can call at any hour –
To laugh or cry or complain...
The one whose voice has been there all along,
Sharing secrets and dreams
and singing your song
when you need to hear it most.

She’s the one
Who can read your mind,
Hear your heart,
And love you just the way you are.

She’s your lifelong friend....
But so much more.
She’s your sister.


My sister means the world to me, and maybe that sounds like a cliche but she is anything but that. She has always been there, and I'm sure that hasn't been easy. I'm needy, I admit it, plus she is so normal and I am so neurotic and I know that sometimes it must be hard for her to relate to me and my issues. But she tries, and she listens, and she loves me anyway.


We never had the normal sort of upbringing or family life, and there were a lot of times that she had to take care of me... and who knows, maybe she resented it, maybe she bitched. But I don't remember that, what I do remember is her being there, taking me to work with her before school when she worked at the Pantry... she would set me up in this little booth across from the windows to work on my homework and buy me breakfast... some sort of waffle thing I loved. Just taking care.


I could go on and on... but I just wanted to recognize her a little today... on her birthday, for being such a great person, an awesome mom to my niece and nephew and the best sister that I could have asked for.


If you are reading this please know that I am always thankful for you, and love you. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment